At one time considered the best centre-threequarter in “the four countries” (England, Ireland, France and Wales), Donald William Burland played rugby for Bristol from 1926 to 1934. He “assisted the county on more than 30 occasions” and played for England eight times.
Don Burland was born in Bristol in 1908. His father, William had the Rising Sun pub at Ashton Gate and was also a member of Bristol Bowling Club. Sadly, William died when his son Don was only 1 year old.
Nevertheless, Don Burland grew up strong. Of “magnificent physique”, he was said to be as strong in attack as in defence. His hand-off was so powerful that he occasionally left “a trail of fallen opponents in his dash to the line”.
He played for Horfield Church before joining Bristol Rugby Club at the age of 18. His greatest moment was probably in 1932, in the international against Ireland in Dublin, when he scored all 11 points – he converted his own try and kicked two penalty goals.
Known for being unstoppable when he was in possession and within 20 yards of the line, Don Burland received more than his fair share of injuries. It was after he fell heavily and dislocated his shoulder in the match between Bristol and Aldershot Services in March 1934 that he reluctantly took the decision, on medical advice, to retire from the game at the age of 24.
In August 1934, the Western Daily Press said of Don Burland, “He will rank as one of the finest match-winning players Bristol has ever had”, In the course of eight seasons, Burland had made “over 200 appearances for Bristol and scored 691 points”. After his retirement from rugby, Don didn’t stop playing sport. In 1935, he was still appearing in local headlines playing some excellent cricket for Bristol Casuals!
Described in the 1930s and 40s as a “Luxurious Country House Hotel“, the East Close Hotel was thought by hotel reviewer Ashley Courtenay to be “particularly well-furnished and run”. He believed that, “for anyone wanting a restful type of leave, it would be hard to visualise a more peaceful spot”. In 1940, the East Close Hotel was advertised as being “in a particularly beautiful and safe position.” Eighty years on, the building is no longer a hotel; however, it is still a beautiful place and now has a new incarnation as The Retreat.
On 29th September 1939, when the National Register was taken at the start of World War Two, there were five people living at the East Close Hotel.
The first two names on the Register were those of the Proprietor and Proprietress, Frederick B. Fowler, aged 55 and his second wife Evelyn Pleasance Fowler (formerly Oswald), aged 38. Frederick was originally from Sussex and, in his twenties, had worked as a Consulting Engineer. He was a Major in the RAF in World War One. Frederick married Evelyn in Bath in 1928. In 1929 the couple were living in Winterbourne Monkton and in the early 1930s they lived in Dorchester. In September 1939, Frederick was a Special Constable in the Hampshire Constabulary.
Lily Borrow, aged 56, was from Stockton-on-Tees and worked in the hotel as a Bookkeeper-Receptionist. Eustace Hallifax, aged 48 was a guest at the hotel. His occupation was Managing Director in the “Motor Trade”. In 1922, the Hampshire Advertiser named him as the owner the Reliance Motor Garage, St. Cross Road, Winchester. The garage was still in business in 1939 and Mr Hallifax was probably still the owner. Victoria E. G. Colthurst, aged 40, was also staying as a guest at the hotel. Her occupation was “Beauty Specialist”. She and Eustace Hallifax appear, at first glance, to be unattached but they were in fact a couple. They were married in 1945.
On 27th December 1851, a report in the Illustrated London News, headed “Private Theatricals”, stated that “on the 18th inst.” Sir Percy and Lady Shelley had “…opened their pretty little private theatre, at Boscombe…” to the surrounding nobility and gentry. The evening’s entertainment, at what is now called The Shelley Theatre , included The Gentleman over the Way, “a translation from the French, by Percy Shelley” and an “extravaganza” called Candaules, King of the Sardes, co-written by Sir Percy and Hon. Grantley Berkeley. All of the “scenery, machinery and decorations” had been “painted and arranged” by Sir Percy.
“Beautifully Lighted with Gas”
The London Evening Standard reported on 5th February 1856 that, during the previous week, the vicinity of Christchurch had been “enlivened by a series of theatrical performances”, both at the home of Colonel and Mrs Waugh on “Branksea Island” and also at “Boscombe House“, the mansion of Sir Percy and Lady Shelley. One of the plays performed at Boscombe, The Wreck Ashore, was said to be a “serious business for any private company to attempt”. The latest extravaganza by Sir Percy, entitled A Comedy of Terrors, was “much in the usual fashion – all scenery, traps, changes and dress, not much to act, but a good deal to look at…” The theatre itself was described as “the most complete thing of the sort attached to any of the residences of the nobility and gentry in the kingdom”. It had a green room and dressing room and was “beautifully lighted with gas”. After each evenings’ entertainment, members of the audience were treated to a “splendid supper” at the mansion.
Amateur & Charitable Performances
In the spring of 1867, “amateur theatricals” were being performed on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings “with much success”. It was noted that Sir Percy had composed most of the music for the productions. Many of the performances were given in aid of charity: in January and February 1872, money was raised for the building fund of the National Sanitorium, Bournemouth.
Sir Percy started building another theatre in 1879, close to his town house in Chelsea and opposite the studio of the artist, James Whistler. According to the Durham County Advertiser, the stage at Chelsea was going to be “fitted up with all those improved mechanical appliances so conspicuous at Boscombe”. Also, as at Boscombe, the Chelsea theatre was intended to be devoted chiefly to amateur and charitable performances.
Plays by Mr Herbert Gardner
At the end of January 1885, Sir Percy Shelley once again re-opened his private theatre, for a season of four nights. And again, much was made of the “scenery, machinery and mechanical effects”. The play itself, Mr Herbert Gardner‘s “excellent comedy”, Time Will Tell was given an enthusiastic write-up in The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News. The stage management and “the finish of the performance” were highly praised. The troupe were favourably compared with the renowned amateur dramatic group: The Old Stagers and The Windsor Strollers. Mention was also made of Gardner’s earlier, much celebrated play, Our Bitterest Foe, which had been premiered previously at Boscombe and had gone on to enjoy “three distinct runs” on the London stage.
“No More Enthusiastic Supporter of the stage…”
In an obituary to Sir Percy Shelley, after his death on November 5th 1889, the Yorkshire Post said that “in the whole ranks of the leisured classes there was no more enthusiastic supporter of the stage than he”.
Go along toThe Shelley Theatre to see what’s happening right now at this wonderful historic theatre.
During the late 1930s, The Chine Hotel was marketed very positively by the “Resident Proprietor”, Mr James Millar, especially in theatrical newspapers, such as The Sphere, The Era and The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News. The hotel was much favoured by actors and theatre companies, who dined and stayed at the hotel when they were performing at Boscombe Pier or The Boscombe Hippodrome (now the O2 Academy).
A Culinary Virtuoso
Many of the ads themselves were theatrical. In 1936, The Sphere carried an advertisement headed “Good Living”, which painted a very romantic and appealing pen picture of the hotel’s ambience: “A glass of sherry and a cigarette before dinner…good company and conversation…colourful, comfortable surroundings and then dinner prepared by a culinary virtuoso. Such is a sample of life at the Chine Hotel.”
One of the Sunniest Hotels...
The hotel advertised in two very different publications in the summer of 1937: The Sphere (on 26th June) and The Yorkshire Post (on 2nd July). The words are the same. Both describe The Chine Hotelas “one of the sunniest hotels on the South Coast…” but the layout changes the message. The long, lazy style and wavy lines in The Sphere give a much more “laid-back” feel that was presumably more appealing to the less traditional, more artistic set!
A Hotel for Every Season
The Chine Hotel was promoted as the ideal place to stay in every season, especially to people who lived in the colder climes of Scotland and the North East of England: “The Chine maintains at all times of the year a reputation for good food…”. On 3rd September 1937, The Scotsman encouraged readers to take an “Autumn Holiday” at The Chine Hotel with its “four acres of terraced gardens which lead direct to the water’s edge and the Undercliff Drive“. The “Winter?” advertisement in The Yorkshire Post of 15th October 1937 used single-word sentences to confidently extol the luxuries and pleasures to be found at The Chine Hoteland to sell it as the perfect antidote to winter.
Bournemouth’s 1,001 Entertainments
The more dignified ad and article in The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News of 2nd December 1938 seem to echo the less carefree national mood at a time when increasingly sinister events were taking place on the continent. The hotel is described by Mr Ashley Courtenay as “A Home from Home…” and the emphasis is on the consistency and quality of its food and wine, the long service of the staff, the splendid situation and its accessibility. The ad highlights “Bournemouth’s 1,001 entertainments”.
A more upbeat style is back in February and March of 1939, when a repeated advertisement in The Scotsman is eager to persuade those north of the border that “It will be nice to get into a warm and sunny climate again”.
Visit The Chine Hotel to experience a gorgeous piece of Boscombe’s history first-hand.
Frederick William Tozer was born on 28th June 1885 in Liskeard, Cornwall, the third son of George Tozer, Superintendent of a Life Insurance Agent and his wife Ellen, who were originally from Plympton in Devon. George’s occupation was Superintendent of a Life Insurance Agent. Shortly after Fred was born, his family moved to Bournemouth and, on 5th April 1891 when the census was taken, they were living at No.1 Eaton Villas in Christchurch Road. Fred, then aged 5, was recorded in the census as a Scholar, as were his two elder brothers Ernest, aged 9, and Walter, aged 7, and his younger brother, Claude, aged 4. However, he was probably not attending the Boscombe British Schoolat this time.
On 15th June 1893, when Fred was 7 years old, the Log Book of Boscombe British Schools recorded that “a little boy named Fred Tozer had been brought to school some time ago by his brother”. The Headmaster, William Jones, initially put Fred into Standard II and asked the class teacher, Miss Tickner, to report back after a few days on what he could do. After being assessed by both Miss Tickner and Mr Jones, Fred was found to be “backward in Reading and Spelling” and he was told he would have to go down to Standard I.
Young Fred became very upset; he cried and “declined to go”. Mr Jones asked his brother to leave him at the Infants’ School; however, Fred was determined and continued to turn up at his usual desk in Miss Tickner’s class. Mr Jones told him once again to go down to the lower class, but Fred cried so much and promised to be such a good boy that Mr Jones told the teacher to “enter his name on the Register and let him remain”.
In 1901, Fred and his elder brothers were still living with their parents at 1 Eaton Villas. Ernest, aged 19, was working as a “Chemist’s Shopman”and Walter, aged 17, was a “Chemist’s Apprentice” but no occupation was entered for Fred himself, now aged 15. However, by 2nd April 1911, Fred had become a “Mariner/Mercantile”. In the census of that date, he was a boarder at the Sailor’s Rest in Fowey, Cornwall; he was aged 25 and single.
Fast forward to September 1939 and we find Fred, aged 54 and still a “Merchant Seaman”, living with his wife, Ethel, at 29 London Fields West Side in Hackney. However, after all his seafaring, it turns out that in his later years, Fred returned to Bournemouth, where he died, aged 83 at the end of 1968.
The Kings Arms Hotel in Castle Street, Christchurch, is a Grade II Listed building. The oldest part was built in the 18th century on the site of an 17th century inn. The larger part of the hotel was built in 1800 and opened by Mr & Mrs Thomas Humby in 1803. It is fabulously situated opposite the Norman “Constable’s House” and The Kings Arms Bowling Green and close to both Christchurch Quay and the town centre. In this blog, I have focused on the years 1914 to 1939. During this period, the hotel was noted for its excellent fishing and favoured by the theatrical profession; it was also the preferred local venue for auction sales, annual society dinners and wedding receptions. And in September 1939, it had some rather intriguing guests!
On New Year’s Day of 1914, the Leeds Mercury reported “the capture of agigantic chub of 8 lb 4 oz” just before Christmas of 1913. The “huge fish” was caught by Mr G. F. Smith, of Putney in part of the Avon River, described as “the water attached to The King’s Arms Hotel“. Six years later, in January 1920, The King’s Arms was being advertised in The Era and The Stage as “An Ideal retreat for members of [the] Theatrical Profession desiring rest and comfort, combined with good fare”. Once again, the hotel was recommended for “excellent fishing”.
Right from the early 19th century, The King’s Arms Hotelwas the place to hold local auction sales of land and property as well as of household, commercial and agricultural goods. In 1923, the Hampshire Advertiser carried an advertisement for one of its regular auction sales, which was to be held on 27th June by order of the Executors of Peter Derham Esq. The property for sale was a marine residence known as “The Bungalow” at Mudeford, set in two and a half acres of “Attractive Grounds…With tennis lawn, flower and kitchen gardens and paddock.” The auctioneers were Messrs. Hewitt and Co. of Lymington and Mr Grahame Spencer of Ringwood.
“Borrowed” a Humber Bicycle
In December 1930, William F. J. Coffey of Belle Vue, Old Milton Road, New Milton, an ex-naval man with “a very good discharge character” appeared in court on two counts of theft, the first being a jewellery robbery in Dorchester, the second being the theft of a bicycle from Harold Smith, who had left it in the yard of the Duke of Wellington Inn at Christchurch. Coffey told P. C. Perkins at New Milton that he had “borrowed a Humber bicycle” from the yard man atThe King’s Arms. Coffey changed his story in court, saying that there was bicycle belonging to him at the hotel. He and his accomplice in the first theft, were sent to gaol by the Dorchester bench.
Chef Desired Change
On 6th June 1934, an advertisement was placed in the Gloucestershire Echo by the Chef at The King’s Arms; it said that he had thirty-two years experience and was “a first class man” with “highest references, successful record”. He was seeking a new position because he “desire[d] change”.
1939 Snapshot – Management and Staff
A National Register of the population was taken on 29th September 1939 and this records that the Hotel Manager at that date was Sidney Barber, aged 38, who lived at the hotel with his wife, Winifred. There are “open” listings for eight members of staff who were resident at the hotel on that date: head waiter, Stuart Osbourne-Easson; waiter, Alain Ferruci; second chef, Alan Whittle; porter and yard man, Arthur Alfred King; kitchen porter, Edgar Mason; “Pantry Man”, Charles E. McDonald; “Hotel Dispenser”, Kathleen O’Brien; and chambermaid, Ethel Gateley.
1939 Snapshot – Hotel Guests: Military Men
Among the hotel guests on the Registerwere two electrical draughtsmen, four young physicists and an Army officer, who may all have been working nearby on the same experimental military project at the start of World War II. The two electrical draughtsmen were Herbert Fawcett and Dennis Mettrick. The physicists were: Geoffrey E. F. Fertel, Robert Latham, Albert Ernest Kempton and William S. Elliott. Both Albert Kempton and Robert Latham (possibly also Fertel and Elliott) had been students of Ernest Rutherford and, in around 1937, they had worked with him at the Cavendish Laboratory at Cambridge Universityon the construction of a new type of particle accelerator called a cyclotron.
The Army officer staying at the hotel was Captain (later Brigadier) Alexander Meister Anstruther, who was to become, in 1940, part of “Churchill’s Secret Army”, the Special Operations Executive. He also became a Companion of the Order of the Bath in the Coronation Honours of 1952.
There were various experimental research stations in the vicinity of Christchurch during the Second World War, notably the Military Experimental Engineering Establishment (MEXE), which developed and erected the first prototypeBailey bridge. However, the gentlemen staying atThe King’s Arms Hotelwere probably attached to the Air Defence Experimental Establishment (ADEE), which had been hastily relocated to Christchurch from Biggin Hill just after war was declared in August 1939. The ADEE, later renamed the Air Defence Research and Development Establishment (ADRDE), was concerned with research into gun sound ranging and acoustics and, since 1936, it had also been carrying out radar research. ADEE developed a radio location system, initially for coastal artillery and later for detection of low-flying aircraft.
1939 Snapshot – Hotel Guests: Yorkshire Bakers
There were two guests at The King’s Arms Hotel, who were well known for a very different reason. They were 62-year-old Mrs Jessie Hagenbach, “Retired Company Director”, and her son Charles Edward Hagenbach, who was a “Doctor and Medical Practitioner”. Jessie was the widow of Swiss-born “Confectioner and Caterer”, Charles August Hagenbach. The Wakefield-based bakers, Charles Hagenbach and Sons, was one of Yorkshire’s biggest bakery businesses with nearly forty shops and restaurants in the county. Charles Edward’s younger brother, Arnold (who died aged 100 in 2005!), took over the business from his father in 1929 and he continued in that role until he sold the business to Allied Bakeries in 1957.
The period between 1930 and 1943 was an eventful one for The Royal Exeter Hotel. “Highlights” included a meeting of the International Football Association and a daring robbery! And the National Register of 1939 gives a fascinating snapshot of the hotel residents just after the outbreak of war.
International Football Association
On the weekend of 14th/15th June 1930, the Board of the International Football Association held its annual meeting at TheRoyal Exeter Hotel, with participants coming from Great Britain and Ireland; also France and Germany. The Saturday meeting, which lasted two and a half hours, was held in private and presided over by Mr W. Pickford of Bournemouth, senior vice-president of the English F. A. Afterwards, the Football Association entertained delegates to lunch at the hotel and later, they were the guests of Mr and Mrs Pickford for tea at Mount Pleasant, Pokesdown.
The programme for the Sunday was a motor drive through Dorset to Weymouth for lunch and to Shaftesbury for tea. Much of the business was conducted informally, with one of the topics under discussion being the contentious matter of part-time payments to players; another presumably being the upcoming England-Wales match (5-0 to England) that would be hosted, in February 1931, by Bournemouth & Boscombe Football Club at its Dean Court ground.
“The Masquerading Robber”
The Royal Exeter Hotel was in the news again on 8th January 1932, when The Western Gazette carried a story entitled, “The Masquerading Robber” about “four daring robberies” of over £400 worth of jewellery and money from hotels. The robberies were carried out by two men: Harry Creighton-Bird and James Maloney. Harry Bird, the shorter of the two, was masquerading in women’s clothes when he was arrested at The Royal Exeter Hotelon Boxing Day of 1931. He was also charged with attempting to shoot P.C. Lyne with an automatic pistol whilst being questioned at the police station.
Suspicions were first aroused at The Royal Exeter Hotel on Boxing Day when Harry Bird used the hotel lavatory and Fred Brown, one of the hotel porters, instructed another porter, Ivor Thomas, to discreetly observe the “lady”. As Ivor Thomas passed Room 27 on the second floor, he saw Mr Bird coming out of the room backwards and bidding “Good afternoon” to “some imaginary person in the room”. The thief was holding a case, which was later found to contain nineteen rings and other jewellery, valued at £100, the property of 80-year-old widow, Mrs Hannah Sarah Holyoak of Leicester.
Ivor Thomas showed Harry Bird to the lift and then rushed down the stairs to raise the alarm. The other porter, Fred Brown, challenged the robber when he came out of the lift and he and the hotel manager took him to a private office; detaining him until the police arrived. Bird’s partner in crime, James Maloney, was discovered a little later in an Essex saloon car that was parked 200 yards from the hotel. Inside the car, police found two suitcases of men’s and women’s clothes.
At the police station, Harry Bird said repeatedly, “Freedom is everything to me”and when asked in court why he drew his revolver, he explained that he had intended to shoot himself.
The Cox Family
The proprietor of The Royal Exeter Hotelin 1930 was William Arthur Cox. He had previously worked at The Grand Hotel in Trafalgar Square; where he was Assistant Manager in the 1890s and General Manager by 1901. He and his wife Violet Minnie, had taken over at The Royal Exeter Hotel after Henry Newlyn died in 1912. William was also Chairman & Managing Director of the Exeter Hotel Co. Ltd and proprietor of The Savoy Hotel, Torquay. In 1932, William and Violet were living in a spacious Victorian villa called Marionbaree at 20 Dean Park Road, Bournemouth and William’s 54-year-old son, Hubert Henry was now manager of The Royal Exeter Hotel. William Cox died on 30th September 1932, leaving property with a gross value of £36,267.
A “Snapshot” in September 1939
On September 29th, just after the outbreak of war, a National Enumeration Register was compiled, providing a “snapshot” of The Royal Exeter Hotel and its residents on that date. William Cox’s widow, Violet was listed as Hotel Director, whilst her step-son Hubert was still Hotel Manager and living at the hotel with his wife, Edith. There were at least nineteen members of staff living on the premises, including a receptionist, a cashier, kitchen staff and porters, a lengthsman, a doorkeeper, a housekeeper, five chambermaids and a page boy!
There were twenty-one guests staying at the hotel including:
Wilkie Calvert of St. James’s, unmarried and aged 58, “Travelling Director Supplies”;
Clara A. Conradi, spinster aged 75, who inherited £5,000 from her employer in 1930;
Anne E. Wood, solicitor’s widow aged 83, from Walton-on-Thames;
Adolphe Tanburn, aged 77, a dealer in precious stones;
Sisters, Alice and Margaret Dollar, aged 60 and 55, of Private Means; and
Divorcee, Gabrielle De-Clerck, aged 32.
Hotel Sold in 1943
On 17th September 1943, the Western Gazette reported that The Royal Exeter Hotel had been sold for “an undisclosed figure”. The Cox family had “conducted the hotel” for over 30 years.At the time of the sale, the visitor’s book contained the names of the Empress of Austria, who stayed at the hotel with her daughter in 1888, the Dowager Duchess of Saxony, who visited in 1905and the singer, Adelina Patti.
The British and Foreign School Society (BFSS) was formed to carry on the work of a young Quaker named Joseph Lancaster, who founded his first school in Southwark in 1798 to provide education for “the industrious classes”. Joseph Lancaster introduced a system of “mutual and self-instruction”, which included rewards as well as punishment and a non-denominational approach to religious education. When the Education Census of 1851 was taken, there were 514 British Schools in the UK and the movement also spread overseas.
The Education Act of 1870 established a new system of locally funded boards to build and manage schools. There were objections to the local rates being proposed and, in Boscombe as well as elsewhere, schools fought to keep their autonomy for as long as possible by seeking voluntary contributions. Eventually, however, the resources of the BFSS were diverted to teacher training and the building of teacher training colleges, with the schools themselves being absorbed into the new system.
In 1876, a Royal Commission recommended that education be made compulsory to put a stop to the use of child labour; however it took many more years for full school attendance to come about, even though it was made compulsory for five- to ten-year-olds in 1880.
The British and Foreign School at Boscombe was therefore built at a time when a great deal of energy was being devoted to improving both educational provision and the lot of children generally. Boscombe was growing rapidly during this period and the school attached to the Church of St Clements was over-subscribed. The new British and Foreign School in Gladstone Road was opened in 1879 and it consisted of two rooms, the larger one to the south being for older children.
An enthusiastic supporter of the school was Alderman Henry Curtis Stockley of “Essendene, Christchurch Road, Boscombe”, who was school treasurer. In June 1895, an appeal was made in the press for funds to provide extra accommodation and the school was extended to the south a number of times between 1895 and 1903, when it became a council school.
The building continued to be used as a school until the 1960s, after which it became a children’s theatre and, in the 1990s, it was used for adult education.
Mr William Bally was born in around 1769 in the county of Somerset and he went into business as an upholsterer. In the first half of the 19th century, he was living and working in the city of Bath. He took on an apprentice, Thomas Peacock, in 1801.
William was in a business partnership with Benjamin Bartrum. The firm of Bally and Bartrum carried on a number of varied business activities from their upholstery warehouse at 10 Milsom Street. They were described as: “Upholsterers, Cabinet-Makers, Auctioneers, Undertakers, and House-Agents”!
Bally & Bartrum regularly placed advertisements for auction sales in the Bath Chronicle, until their partnership was dissolved by mutual consent on 25th March 1822. On 13th May 1824, an advertisement appeared in the Bath Chronicle for a house to let at 19 Gay Street. Interested parties were to apply to the house agent or to Mr Bally of Sion-Hill. William Bally continued to work on his own account well into the 1840s.
William married Matilda Payne at St. George’s, Hanover Square in London in June 1806; however, it is not known whether they had any children. On census night, 6th June 1841, William Bally, aged 70, who by then was of independent means, was living with his wife, Matilda, aged 55 at their home on Sion Hill. Also living with them were Elizabeth Payne, a relative of Matilda’s, aged 60, also of independent means; and James Payne, aged 14. They had three servants living in: John Sheppard, aged 45; Eliza England, aged 30 and Martha Manning, aged 25.
Mr William Bally died at his residence on Sion Hill, on 21st December 1848 at the age of 79.